Randfontein Primary School opened in July 1902, it was first known as Randfontein School. The first teachers were Miss A. Geddes and her sister Miss L. Geddes. The school opened in the Westleyan Chapel near South Married Quarters. This was the first home of RANDFONTEIN ENGLISH MEDIUM SCHOOL- 1902 -1905.
By January 1905 a wood and iron structure was erected by the Transvaal Education Department at a cost of 1 563 Pounds. This sight was to be the home of Randfontein Primary until 1980.
In December 1909 – Mrs J.W.S. Langerman presented the school with a grand piano – we still use it today.
On 28 May 1914, the keys of a new brick building were handed over to the principal Mr Graham. This building was used by Randfontein Primary until 1981. It is still used today and is known as WESTCOL Corporate Head Office.
This building consisted of 10 classrooms, a central hall and several offices. Later on 3 more classrooms were added. The wood and iron structure remained on site until 1917, when it was removed to Randgate, where it was used as part of a school – Laerskool Rapportryer.
In 1919 Mr Winter presented the school with a mounted head of a kudu. The head is encircled with the school motto “Sauviter in Modo, Fortiter in re”, which means — Gentle in manner, firm in deed. This crest still remains part of our school uniform and our school.
In 1937 the school was renamed “Randfontein English Medium” and received the nickname of REM.
Our school song was composed in 1973 by Mr van Loggenberg and one of the teachers Mrs M . Tresidder.
With the increase in the number of pupils to just below 900 in 1979, it became necessary to plan a bigger school building. After negotiations with the Transvaal Education Department, Mr J. van Houten and the chairman of the Governing Body, Mr Niewenhuizen – the present building in Greenhills, Extension 5 were built. In 1981 when we moved to the present school buildings, the school was renamed “Randfontein Primary School”.